Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
California -- News from the World's Ninth Largest Economy
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 next>>
Mar 30, 2013 12:53:45   #
Richard94611
 
In the midst of some of our heated political discussions, a few people have taken cheap shots at California, calling our state "the land of the fruits and the nuts."

I thought this opinion piece from The New York Times might be of interest to a few of you. Economically, California is on the mend, and we are beginning several massive projects of great interest -- high-speed rail, and a re-engineering of our water supply system.

You can pooh-pooh this state all you want, but if you are a Republican, as the article notes, your opinion has become irrelevant.

| Reply
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Mar 30, 2013 12:56:11   #
RixPix
 
Richard94611 wrote:
In the midst of some of our heated political discussions, a few people have taken cheap shots at California, calling our state "the land of the fruits and the nuts."

I thought this opinion piece from The New York Times might be of interest to a few of you. Economically, California is on the mend, and we are beginning several massive projects of great interest -- high-speed rail, and a re-engineering of our water supply system.

You can pooh-pooh this state all you want, but if you are a Republican, as the article notes, your opinion has become irrelevant.
In the midst of some of our heated political discu... (show quote)


California is the land of Direct Democracy if that is crazy...well then sign me up for a padded room with a view.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 13:01:16   #
Danilo
 
Richard94611 wrote:
In the midst of some of our heated political discussions, a few people have taken cheap shots at California, calling our state "the land of the fruits and the nuts."
I thought this opinion piece from The New York Times might be of interest to a few of you. Economically, California is on the mend, and we are beginning several massive projects of great interest -- high-speed rail, and a re-engineering of our water supply system.
You can pooh-pooh this state all you want, but if you are a Republican, as the article notes, your opinion has become irrelevant.
In the midst of some of our heated political discu... (show quote)


Congratulations, Richard! Start another thread when these projects are PAID FOR.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 14:56:53   #
Richard94611
 
Danilo, hate to tell you this, but if you had read the article carefully you would see that California is on track to have a SURPLUS, and that federal grants, etc. are contributing a good deal of the costs, too. YOUR tax dollars at work, HA ! Furthermore, the addition of the jobs these projects will entail will also help our economy. Don't know if you noticed, but real estate values are going up fairly well here in California. In my area, they improved by around 20% in the past year, and the increase shows no sign of slowing.

The reports you have reveled in about the death of California's economy have been great exaggerated. Of course, since you are listed as being from Las Vegas, you probably have a totally pessimistic view of the economy, since your is one of the worst in the nation.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 16:00:34   #
Blurryeyed (a regular here)
 
Richard94611 wrote:
In the midst of some of our heated political discussions, a few people have taken cheap shots at California, calling our state "the land of the fruits and the nuts."

I thought this opinion piece from The New York Times might be of interest to a few of you. Economically, California is on the mend, and we are beginning several massive projects of great interest -- high-speed rail, and a re-engineering of our water supply system.

You can pooh-pooh this state all you want, but if you are a Republican, as the article notes, your opinion has become irrelevant.
In the midst of some of our heated political discu... (show quote)


LOL NYT opinion pages.... says republicans are irrelevant, big surprise there, maybe they did not get the memo that more and more the Times is viewed as a rag, hardly a bastion of unbiased reporting.

I just read an article that California is in need of an additional $40 billion to finish its train to nowhere, do you know anything about that?

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 16:20:04   #
RixPix
 
Blurryeyed wrote:
LOL NYT opinion pages.... says republicans are irrelevant, big surprise there, maybe they did not get the memo that more and more the Times is viewed as a rag, hardly a bastion of unbiased reporting.

I just read an article that California is in need of an additional $40 billion to finish its train to nowhere, do you know anything about that?


I am sure they will come up with the money. As someone who live in Los Angeles area for some 16 years I can safely say that whatever the cost it will be worth it in long run. You haven't seen traffic until you seen Los Angeles. And the drive between the three cities of San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco is a killer regards of which direction you are going.

| Reply
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
Mar 30, 2013 16:26:27   #
NOSLEEP
 
Always best to say something constructive.

It is widely held in the developed world that if one were to give America an enema, the hose should be placed in California...

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 16:30:58   #
Blurryeyed (a regular here)
 
RixPix wrote:
I am sure they will come up with the money. As someone who live in Los Angeles area for some 16 years I can safely say that whatever the cost it will be worth it in long run. You haven't seen traffic until you seen Los Angeles. And the drive between the three cities of San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco is a killer regards of which direction you are going.


My understanding of the project is that the state is continuously being sued and the route that the train takes has been significantly changed to the point that upon completion, in like 2035 it will take significantly longer between destinations because of the rerouting. This has also significantly added to the cost... Heck, I will concede that if the rail had been completed as originally planned that it would have made much better sense than the ill conceived rail that would have been built in Florida.

BTW I am in the middle of Richard's opinion piece and it is heavily loaded with conjecture and optimism regarding the future, but as the author rightfully points out that rooting for CA's failure would be somewhat unpatriotic, so lets wish them the best, but I do not think that you can view the last year and make the claim that CA is out of the woods yet. They have taken steps to meet the challenges that they face and it remains to be seen as to whether or not they will be able to overcome some of those very large challenges...

NYT piece that Richard refers to.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/california-beaming/

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 16:54:16   #
Kentee
 
Richard94611 wrote:
In the midst of some of our heated political discussions, a few people have taken cheap shots at California, calling our state "the land of the fruits and the nuts."

I thought this opinion piece from The New York Times might be of interest to a few of you. Economically, California is on the mend, and we are beginning several massive projects of great interest -- high-speed rail, and a re-engineering of our water supply system.

You can pooh-pooh this state all you want, but if you are a Republican, as the article notes, your opinion has become irrelevant.
In the midst of some of our heated political discu... (show quote)


California will never get out of debt or have a budget surplus! As soon as it looks like a surplus is possible, the Dems buckle down and create new spending on dumb things like the "bullet train" to nowhere. Since Dem voters are growing in numbers faster than ragweed in Wisconsin, the future is hopeless.

The only things that keeps me here are the gorgeous scenery, unmatchable climate and Prop 13.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 17:10:42   #
BermBuster
 
Kentee wrote:
California will never get out of debt or have a budget surplus! As soon as it looks like a surplus is possible, the Dems buckle down and create new spending on dumb things like the "bullet train" to nowhere. Since Dem voters are growing in numbers faster than ragweed in Wisconsin, the future is hopeless.

The only things that keeps me here are the gorgeous scenery, unmatchable climate and Prop 13.


I agree--but looks like a move is imminent :thumbup:

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 17:30:44   #
Harvey
 
There is la Law That will keep the developed peoples of the world in everlasting ignorance - that law is contempt before investigation.
In other words don't knock it if you don't truly know what you are talking about.

NOSLEEP wrote:
Always best to say something constructive.

It is widely held in the developed world that if one were to give America an enema, the hose should be placed in California...

| Reply
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Mar 30, 2013 19:19:11   #
BermBuster
 
Have you seen how good our Employment rate is?
http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Probly be worse if they didn't count all the Govment 'state-federal-county' workers

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 19:26:59   #
Blurryeyed (a regular here)
 
BermBuster wrote:
Have you seen how good our Employment rate is?
http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Probly be worse if they didn't count all the Govment 'state-federal-county' workers


U-6 which is closer to the real unemployment rate is at 14.3% and then if you add in all the folks that have given up and claimed disability the number climbs closer to 20%... Here is an interesting look at the growth in disability claims....

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/?wpisrc=nl_wonk

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 20:34:22   #
Richard94611
 
And you would be the issue.


NOSLEEP wrote:
Always best to say something constructive.

It is widely held in the developed world that if one were to give America an enema, the hose should be placed in California...

| Reply
Mar 30, 2013 23:52:12   #
NOSLEEP
 
Harvey wrote:
There is la Law That will keep the developed peoples of the world in everlasting ignorance - that law is contempt before investigation.
In other words don't knock it if you don't truly know what you are talking about.


Struck a nerve did I... lol

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.