Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Tripod, Tripod, which Tripod?
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Mar 5, 2013 17:43:34   #
MT Shooter Loc: Montana
 
Georgia Peddler wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
Georgia Peddler wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
A crappy tripod is worse than no tripod at all.
Try to find a camera store to actually handle a few before you buy off-brand stuff online. Buy once, cry once, then enjoy the usefulness of a good tripod for decades rather than throw away a crappy one every 6 months or so.


Shooter - a question - I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 that is missing the little knob thingee that you push in to engage the slot and tighten or loosen the center post positon. I have exhausted all of the sites I find on-line for Bogen/Manfortto and even order the supposed correct piece from their authorized site in South Carolina, but it was incorrect. Any direction you can point me in??
quote=MT Shooter A crappy tripod is worse than no... (show quote)


You must have the first generation 3021 (3221 in black) with the removeable column clamp handle. It originally had an allen wrench in it that fit all the leg clamp screws. The second and third generation 3021 did not have the removeable handle there.
Check with www.manfrottospares.com, I think they are still available for about $21, but they come all the way from Italy so it takes a couple of weeks. The part number is: E055,516F
quote=Georgia Peddler quote=MT Shooter A crappy ... (show quote)


Thanks for the reply - this is the stem with a little spring and the little handle is slotted to fit over the end of the screw. You can turn it and then push the little handle in by puushing it past the spring catch and take another bite without having the little handle at an awkward position. Is that the one you are referring to? Hard to tell when looking at the parts breakdowns, and like I said, the Manfrotto/Bogen site in SCarolina sent me the wrong thing even after talking with me and assuring me it was the correct thingee. Thanks
quote=MT Shooter quote=Georgia Peddler quote=MT... (show quote)


Its the one. I ordered a replacement for a trade-in tripod once that was missing the handle. That's where I got the part number from.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 18:29:26   #
Bruce with a Canon Loc: Islip
 
my $.02 wotrh. I use Manfrotto 055XPROB, You could use it to hold a car up. I also use 324RC2 pistol grip ball head for my light duty work, and a Lensmaster RG2 Gimbal head for heavier rigs.
I also use a Manfrotto 190PROB with a couple heads depending on what I am shooting.
None of this stuff is ultra light weight.
I have not yet perused carbon fiber stuff, so can not comment on that.
The stuff listed above is bullet proof, tried and true.

My suggestion is bring your heaviest rig to the local camera shop and screw it on a couple combos until you get the feel you like.
Oh an old rifle sling is great for schleping tripods.


Oh, like tattoos, good gear ain't cheap,< Cheap geat aiont good.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 18:29:56   #
wlgoode Loc: Globe, AZ
 
MT Shooter wrote:
damvit wrote:
MT Shooter, Couldn't agree more, thank you, guess I'm asking are all those crap? Dolica, Revelli??
Thanks!


Revelli I have never heard of. Dolica I have looked at in the local Costco and wouldn't waste my money on one. Most combo kits with legs and head combined are less than impressive that I have seen. Stick with top names like Manfrotto, Gitzo, RRS and you will not be disappointed. But at least try to handle before you buy, even with a free 30 day trial from the internet they can be VERY expensive for return shipping, often more than the tripod itself is worth.
My most favorite tripod and head is the very first GOOD tripod I bought in 1982. I fell into the "cheap is good" trap and suffered with a real piece of junk starting in 1979 but I stuck with it until I just couldn't take it anymore and bought a good one. I have never looked back and now have 6 excellent tripods with different heads for different purposes.
quote=damvit MT Shooter, Couldn't agree more, tha... (show quote)


I bought my first good tripod about 25 years ago. It was not only good but pretty cheap. Got a new Bogen 3001 at Smile Photo in NYC for $39.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 19:12:22   #
DB Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
 
I have a Giotto MT 8350 cabon fibor legs.... The center column works as a lateral arm with angle adjustment. The center arm also has and "eye" in the bottom where you can attach extra weight as necessary. Manfrotto 327RC2 Joystick Head.

This seems to work very well for me. However I will probably look a dedicated sturdier one for my D90 and the new Sigma 150-500 lens when it arrives. Also looking at a gimbal head for the Sigma.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 19:15:15   #
MT Shooter Loc: Montana
 
DB wrote:
I have a Giotto MT 8350 cabon fibor legs.... The center column works as a lateral arm with angle adjustment. The center arm also has and "eye" in the bottom where you can attach extra weight as necessary. Manfrotto 327RC2 Joystick Head.

This seems to work very well for me. However I will probably look a dedicated sturdier one for my D90 and the new Sigma 150-500 lens when it arrives. Also looking at a gimbal head for the Sigma.


The Giottos MT 8350 is rated to carry 11 pounds. That should be sufficient to handle the Sigma just fine. The Gimbal head is a good idea, it will make the Sigma easier to handle, the joystick head would be pretty much worthless with it.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 21:16:52   #
DB Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
 
Thanks MT, I didn't think the joystick would be much use with the 150-500.

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 21:52:21   #
SouthernExposures Loc: Murrells Inlet SC
 
You might consider Feisol-just bought the legs & ball head, will hold 33lbs.Bought the Feisol monopod also, to replace my old aluminum. Also use the Manfrotto 393 for birds in flight, heavy but a workhorse. Spend the $$ now for one that will last & meet your needs for a lifetime.Feisol carbon fiber & ball head a great combination and will be my last 'pod! (Well, maybe :D )

| Reply
Mar 5, 2013 21:52:39   #
Georgia Peddler Loc: Brunswick, GA
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Georgia Peddler wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
Georgia Peddler wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
A crappy tripod is worse than no tripod at all.
Try to find a camera store to actually handle a few before you buy off-brand stuff online. Buy once, cry once, then enjoy the usefulness of a good tripod for decades rather than throw away a crappy one every 6 months or so.


Shooter - a question - I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 that is missing the little knob thingee that you push in to engage the slot and tighten or loosen the center post positon. I have exhausted all of the sites I find on-line for Bogen/Manfortto and even order the supposed correct piece from their authorized site in South Carolina, but it was incorrect. Any direction you can point me in??
quote=MT Shooter A crappy tripod is worse than no... (show quote)


You must have the first generation 3021 (3221 in black) with the removeable column clamp handle. It originally had an allen wrench in it that fit all the leg clamp screws. The second and third generation 3021 did not have the removeable handle there.
Check with www.manfrottospares.com, I think they are still available for about $21, but they come all the way from Italy so it takes a couple of weeks. The part number is: E055,516F
quote=Georgia Peddler quote=MT Shooter A crappy ... (show quote)


Thanks for the reply - this is the stem with a little spring and the little handle is slotted to fit over the end of the screw. You can turn it and then push the little handle in by puushing it past the spring catch and take another bite without having the little handle at an awkward position. Is that the one you are referring to? Hard to tell when looking at the parts breakdowns, and like I said, the Manfrotto/Bogen site in SCarolina sent me the wrong thing even after talking with me and assuring me it was the correct thingee. Thanks
quote=MT Shooter quote=Georgia Peddler quote=MT... (show quote)


Its the one. I ordered a replacement for a trade-in tripod once that was missing the handle. That's where I got the part number from.
quote=Georgia Peddler quote=MT Shooter quote=Ge... (show quote)


Thanks so much - I will get it ordered. Don't use this pod much at all but I moved in Oct and just discovered it missing yesterday.

| Reply
Mar 6, 2013 01:09:35   #
Larrie Loc: NE Ohio
 
damvit wrote:
Hey UHH folks,
I'm trying to decide on my first buy, highest quality @ lowest price. I've seen posts here about the Ravelli APG L4 for $95, which caught my eye, found Ravelli Professional 65-inch Carbon Fiber 3 Axis Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod for $85...then found Costco has Dolica ZX600B103 70" for $99, which is also Carbon Fiber. Interested in hearing opinions, experiences, etc...trip to Europe this summer, and indoor/outdoor use...How important is T's height? I'm 6'1", ultimately interested in portrait/head shots, 65" or 70"?
Other options are buying used Manfrotto, which seems widely appreciated, but older, heavier, at around $100-150...some come w' heads. I would spend a little more if quality, portability & longevity are there...Help!?!
Thank you!
Hey UHH folks, br I'm trying to decide on my first... (show quote)


FWIW I'm not totally sold on Carbon Fiber. Lightweight? Yeah, Sturdy? To a point. Snapping or crimping a leg from excessive accidental leverage or impact will cause damage not only at the point of failure but a considerable distance above and below. I have experience with rather exotic butted and wrapped CF tubing used in kites. When CF fails it literally shatters like glass. Manfrotto uses a special weave to minimize this and add strength. A crimped aluminum tube can be temporarily shored up with external splints or a wooden plug until a replacement can be obtained. On that subject make sure whatever you buy has easily obtainable spare parts and is serviceable.

| Reply
Mar 6, 2013 02:14:39   #
Take 5 Cinema Loc: Canoe BC
 
I know this sounds a bit strange, but depending on what you are shooting, seriously consider a good video head. What???

Ya, a video head is gear for super slick motion required for good video shots. Pan and tilt. It is so smooth, that you can follow the action, fast or slow, wonderfully and grab any shot you desire perfectly. A hidden secret. The only caveat is that the camera is mounted horizontally. Now you could probably find a 90 degree flip up adapter for those flip up moments, but outside of that, I have used them extensively and they are wonderful. Try a Manfrotto 701 for a small camera and a 501, 502 for bigger gear.

Cheers,
Take 5

| Reply
Mar 8, 2013 05:46:09   #
Dun1 Loc: Atlanta, GA
 
If you go to the local discount store, you will find low cost tripods that will only cause you to hate using a tripod. I stick with the usual suspects, Manfrotto, Gitzo. One thing you might want to check is the weight of the camera and body you intend for the tri pod to handle. That $19.95 discount store tripod will cause you $1,000 worth of aggravation.
Heads for tripods are in a way similar to lenses for a camera, the better quality of the lens the more expensive, if you use the supplied kit 18-55 kit lens you will be asking the eternal question "Why are my photos not a sharp ?" The same goes for tripods. If you purchase that low end tripod and expect it to last you are throwing money out of the window

| Reply
Mar 8, 2013 17:14:23   #
damvit Loc: New York, NY
 
Wow, really appreciate all the responses! Lot of wisdom & experience here! So, I went down to Adorama, after pricing on-line, to handle their wide variety (thx MT Shooter). The differences were stunning, forgot that you can't really tell everything from a pic or video...
Decision: Bought a Manfrotto 055PROB and Manfrotto 496RC2 head!!!
The sturdiness, quality of design & materials makes me feel this will be my all around, all purpose set up. At 5lbs I may even take it to Europe...Great combination of quality & price, the fact it's Made In Italy also sealed the deal for me (since that's my heritage!).
Thank you to ALL who responded!!!

| Reply
Mar 8, 2013 20:41:42   #
SouthernExposures Loc: Murrells Inlet SC
 
Congrats & best of luck!

| Reply
Mar 8, 2013 21:48:40   #
Take 5 Cinema Loc: Canoe BC
 
damvit wrote:
Wow, really appreciate all the responses! Lot of wisdom & experience here! So, I went down to Adorama, after pricing on-line, to handle their wide variety (thx MT Shooter). The differences were stunning, forgot that you can't really tell everything from a pic or video...
Decision: Bought a Manfrotto 055PROB and Manfrotto 496RC2 head!!!
The sturdiness, quality of design & materials makes me feel this will be my all around, all purpose set up. At 5lbs I may even take it to Europe...Great combination of quality & price, the fact it's Made In Italy also sealed the deal for me (since that's my heritage!).
Thank you to ALL who responded!!!
Wow, really appreciate all the responses! Lot of w... (show quote)

Good Choice. I have 2 055's and they are a simple, sound, perfect workhorse. Stand's tall, stands short. Fast. Rock solid. I bit big, a wee bit heavy, but so what? You get a great tripod.

Cheers,
Take 5

| Reply
Mar 8, 2013 22:40:04   #
rcook73 Loc: New Salisbury, IN
 
damvit wrote:
Wow, really appreciate all the responses! Lot of wisdom & experience here! So, I went down to Adorama, after pricing on-line, to handle their wide variety (thx MT Shooter). The differences were stunning, forgot that you can't really tell everything from a pic or video...
Decision: Bought a Manfrotto 055PROB and Manfrotto 496RC2 head!!!
The sturdiness, quality of design & materials makes me feel this will be my all around, all purpose set up. At 5lbs I may even take it to Europe...Great combination of quality & price, the fact it's Made In Italy also sealed the deal for me (since that's my heritage!).
Thank you to ALL who responded!!!
Wow, really appreciate all the responses! Lot of w... (show quote)



Congrats ..hope it makes a lot of journeys in it's near future

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.