Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main Photography Discussion
Pics of tripod for MT Shooter
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Feb 28, 2013 18:00:19   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.





| Reply
Mar 1, 2013 08:56:33   #
Jerry Green
 
Is the head removable? If so what is the thread size on the center shaft?
Here is one from Adorama that is on sale:
http://www.adorama.com/FPGH2.html

| Reply
Mar 1, 2013 13:56:39   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
Jerry Green wrote:
Is the head removable? If so what is the thread size on the center shaft?
Here is one from Adorama that is on sale:
http://www.adorama.com/FPGH2.html


Don't know whether the head is removable - have to look and see if this is possible.

Thanks for the link but i have already ordered the Gimbal head which MTshooter rates.

| Reply
Mar 1, 2013 16:05:49   #
craggycrossers (a regular here)
 
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Are you Southport UK ? Are you aware of this gimbal head made in Britain and an excellent performer ? - http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm - might be too late, but for your info anyway. Look at the RH-2. And be sure to watch the video !!

| Reply
Mar 1, 2013 16:59:29   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
craggycrossers wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Are you Southport UK ? Are you aware of this gimbal head made in Britain and an excellent performer ? - http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm - might be too late, but for your info anyway. Look at the RH-2. And be sure to watch the video !!


Thanks Craggycrossers - I will check it out!!
Edit: Yes I am Southport UK>

| Reply
Mar 1, 2013 20:05:26   #
wlgoode
 
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 09:04:52   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.


Thanks wlgoode
I can see some cross screws around component that joins to top of legs so I will have a look and see what I can discover.
It was designed to be used with a camcorder and has a fluid 2-way panhead so don't know whether it can be dismantled without have an adverse effect on the tripod itself.
Still worth a shot.
Thanks for looking and commenting.

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 11:31:26   #
wlgoode
 
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.


Thanks wlgoode
I can see some cross screws around component that joins to top of legs so I will have a look and see what I can discover.
It was designed to be used with a camcorder and has a fluid 2-way panhead so don't know whether it can be dismantled without have an adverse effect on the tripod itself.
Still worth a shot.
Thanks for looking and commenting.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra Hi Shooter br Pics... (show quote)


Normally the head is attached with a center 3/8" threaded stud. Try using a gloved hand to turn the head counterclockwise to uscrew it. From the photo I would guess that is the way it's attached. My guess is that you may be looking at the screws that attach the legs to the top platform that the head is attached to. What brand is it?

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 12:27:34   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.


Thanks wlgoode
I can see some cross screws around component that joins to top of legs so I will have a look and see what I can discover.
It was designed to be used with a camcorder and has a fluid 2-way panhead so don't know whether it can be dismantled without have an adverse effect on the tripod itself.
Still worth a shot.
Thanks for looking and commenting.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra Hi Shooter br Pics... (show quote)


Normally the head is attached with a center 3/8" threaded stud. Try using a gloved hand to turn the head counterclockwise to uscrew it. From the photo I would guess that is the way it's attached. My guess is that you may be looking at the screws that attach the legs to the top platform that the head is attached to. What brand is it?
quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra H... (show quote)


Thanks for that - it is a Ross tripod - have googled and cannot find any reference to it - I bought it in Southern Ireland many years ago.

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 12:46:34   #
wlgoode
 
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.


Thanks wlgoode
I can see some cross screws around component that joins to top of legs so I will have a look and see what I can discover.
It was designed to be used with a camcorder and has a fluid 2-way panhead so don't know whether it can be dismantled without have an adverse effect on the tripod itself.
Still worth a shot.
Thanks for looking and commenting.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra Hi Shooter br Pics... (show quote)


Normally the head is attached with a center 3/8" threaded stud. Try using a gloved hand to turn the head counterclockwise to uscrew it. From the photo I would guess that is the way it's attached. My guess is that you may be looking at the screws that attach the legs to the top platform that the head is attached to. What brand is it?
quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra H... (show quote)


Thanks for that - it is a Ross tripod - have googled and cannot find any reference to it - I bought it in Southern Ireland many years ago.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode qu... (show quote)


Ross tripods are uncommon here. Even though I'm a retired Photo equipment tech I've seen very few and don't remember ever removing the head. However, from my memory and the pix of your tripod I would bet the head could be removed as I described.

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 17:17:04   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
wlgoode wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Almost all good tripods have removable heads.


Thanks wlgoode
I can see some cross screws around component that joins to top of legs so I will have a look and see what I can discover.
It was designed to be used with a camcorder and has a fluid 2-way panhead so don't know whether it can be dismantled without have an adverse effect on the tripod itself.
Still worth a shot.
Thanks for looking and commenting.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra Hi Shooter br Pics... (show quote)


Normally the head is attached with a center 3/8" threaded stud. Try using a gloved hand to turn the head counterclockwise to uscrew it. From the photo I would guess that is the way it's attached. My guess is that you may be looking at the screws that attach the legs to the top platform that the head is attached to. What brand is it?
quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra H... (show quote)


Thanks for that - it is a Ross tripod - have googled and cannot find any reference to it - I bought it in Southern Ireland many years ago.
quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode qu... (show quote)


Ross tripods are uncommon here. Even though I'm a retired Photo equipment tech I've seen very few and don't remember ever removing the head. However, from my memory and the pix of your tripod I would bet the head could be removed as I described.
quote=Rathyatra quote=wlgoode quote=Rathyatra ... (show quote)


Had a go earlier and not possible - I would have to destroy the pano head and there would be no point as there is no screw underneath to attach GImbal head.

No problem I will just have to go for a set of tripod legs and the Ross tripod will do for my smaller lenses.

Thanks for your help.

| Reply
Mar 2, 2013 17:29:36   #
Bruce with a Canon
 
Not to butt in, but the Manfrotto 055PROB are sturdy as you could ask for amd reasonably priced ( well in the US anyway)
Might look them over.

| Reply
Mar 3, 2013 09:58:54   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
Bruce with a Canon wrote:
Not to butt in, but the Manfrotto 055PROB are sturdy as you could ask for amd reasonably priced ( well in the US anyway)
Might look them over.


Thanks Bruce - bought a few bits and pieces from the US and they have been excellent value and pretty good delivery times - thanks for the link I will have a look :thumbup:

Just realised that was the one recommended by MT shooter - must be a good one then!!

| Reply
Mar 3, 2013 14:14:21   #
digicamking
 
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Not sure if this has been suggested but raise the center post and look up under it. There may be screws which need to be loosened and even removed before trying to turn the head counterclockwise. Some times the head is locked onto the center post by screws to ensure you do not loosen the head inadvertenly. Just a thought. Good luck.

| Reply
Mar 3, 2013 17:02:19   #
Rathyatra (a regular here)
 
digicamking wrote:
Rathyatra wrote:
Hi Shooter
Pics of the tripod I was referring to - don't think it will be suitable to use with the Gimbal head - probably have to buy one without a head and attach the Gimbal - welcome your advice.


Not sure if this has been suggested but raise the center post and look up under it. There may be screws which need to be loosened and even removed before trying to turn the head counterclockwise. Some times the head is locked onto the center post by screws to ensure you do not loosen the head inadvertenly. Just a thought. Good luck.
quote=Rathyatra Hi Shooter br Pics of the tripod ... (show quote)

Thanks digicamking
Worth a try - like a Chinese puzzle Lol!!!

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2018 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.