Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main Photography Discussion
Nikon Factory Store
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
Oct 11, 2017 09:05:39   #
vino2nite
 
I ordered a D810 refurbished body from the Nikon Factory Store, but was having trouble with the links with the final purchase, so I called them directly. A rep said he would put me on hold to find out what the problem might be. After about 5 minutes, he said the offer was sold out and they had not had a chance to correct the site, so I voiced my disappointment in having to spend nearly 45 minutes trying to order it in the first place. Curious, I checked the site again and found the D810 back on the site with a different price. Within a few minutes of checking the 2nd time, I received an email stating that my purchase was going through showing my credit card was charged and a tracking # issued. Elated, I said to myself that Nikon was doing the right thing given all the bad press they have been getting. Some 2 hours later they asked that I call them where I expected them to ask if I was satisfied. Instead, they tell me that they will not honor the price and the camera will be returned on receipt. Yes...the price was extraordinary at $1099 which is why I responded to the offer, I call this BAIT AND SWITCH. Has anyone had a similar problem with Nikon? Am I right in believing that once the order was accepted and a tracking # issued that the sale is complete? Suggested recourse?
 
Oct 11, 2017 09:12:50   #
Marionsho
 
vino2nite wrote:
I ordered a D810 refurbished body from the Nikon Factory Store, but was having trouble with the links with the final purchase, so I called them directly. A rep said he would put me on hold to find out what the problem might be. After about 5 minutes, he said the offer was sold out and they had not had a chance to correct the site, so I voiced my disappointment in having to spend nearly 45 minutes trying to order it in the first place. Curious, I checked the site again and found the D810 back on the site with a different price. Within a few minutes of checking the 2nd time, I received an email stating that my purchase was going through showing my credit card was charged and a tracking # issued. Elated, I said to myself that Nikon was doing the right thing given all the bad press they have been getting. Some 2 hours later they asked that I call them where I expected them to ask if I was satisfied. Instead, they tell me that they will not honor the price and the camera will be returned on receipt. Yes...the price was extraordinary at $1099 which is why I responded to the offer, I call this BAIT AND SWITCH. Has anyone had a similar problem with Nikon? Am I right in believing that once the order was accepted and a tracking # issued that the sale is complete? Suggested recourse?
I ordered a D810 refurbished body from the Nikon F... (show quote)

BAIT AND SWITCH seems to be a regular thing with most every store nowadays.
Oct 11, 2017 09:17:43   #
rjaywallace (a regular here)
 
Sorry you have had to endure such annoying hassle. Recourse? Fujifilm X-T2
Oct 11, 2017 09:19:09   #
Screamin Scott (a regular here)
 
They should have honored the transaction in my opinion, but how is this "Bait & Switch" ? did they offer another camera instead ?? Maybe call back & ask to speak to a manager.... There is a B&H rep here on the Hog. Maybe he can help...His name is Hershel. Here is his info...http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/user-profile?usernum=13152

EDIT: just looked and I see the price is substantially higher. The price you quoted isn't much more than I paid for my refurbished D610.. I still say that they should honor their mistake if they sent you a confirmation email...
Oct 11, 2017 09:31:19   #
jojo Smith
 
bait and switch how awful to do people that way any company should honored the transaction of the sale price until they take down that promotional sales price
Oct 11, 2017 09:53:11   #
Hank Radt
 
Check with your local consumer protection bureau, and the one in the state where the store is located - the law may require that they respect the price that was posted, even if they made the mistake. Here's a link citing the California law, which has a link to other states: http://www.freestufffinder.com/pricing-error-laws-when-your-store-has-to-honor-a-glitch-price/
 
Oct 11, 2017 09:54:43   #
lamontcranston
 
In some states Small Claim Courts may offer a remedy.
Oct 11, 2017 09:59:10   #
Rich1939 (a regular here)
 
While I don't think this was an intentional "bait and switch", much more likely an error in posting the sale, it effectively became one and for the one or so sales affected, the company should honor the price if for nothing more than their reputation. Considering the relatively low percentage refurbished equipment sales are vs. the overall camera sales volume, believing this was an intentional B&S strains credulity.
Oct 11, 2017 09:59:28   #
vino2nite
 
I have over $15K Nikon equipment. Will have to research Fuji if the lenses will connect.
Oct 11, 2017 10:03:17   #
Marionsho
 
Screamin Scott wrote:
They should have honored the transaction in my opinion, but how is this "Bait & Switch" ? did they offer another camera instead ?? Maybe call back & ask to speak to a manager.... There is a B&H rep here on the Hog. Maybe he can help...His name is Hershel. Here is his info...http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/user-profile?usernum=13152

EDIT: just looked and I see the price is substantially higher. The price you quoted isn't much more than I paid for my refurbished D610.. I still say that they should honor their mistake if they sent you a confirmation email...
They should have honored the transaction in my opi... (show quote)

You're right, it's not really "Bait & Switch", unless he buys it for the more expensive price. Most every time I go to Wally World, they do the bait and switch thing. The price on the shelf is lower than the price charged at the register. Most people won't catch it. They pay their overhead with the stolen money.Totally legal, because they will make it right if you catch them.
Marion
Oct 11, 2017 10:07:50   #
wolfman
 
Under terms and condition of sale:

C. Once an order for Tickets has been placed, you may only cancel such order in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Sale. Nikon reserves the right to cancel any order, in whole or in part, at Nikon’s sole discretion. Nikon will advise you of any canceled order by email.
 
Oct 11, 2017 10:20:16   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Screamin Scott wrote:
...but how is this "Bait & Switch" ?


I agree. I think it was just a case of a series of mistakes on their part - posting the wrong price, not keeping the web site updated, etc. As they say, "If it looks too good to be true..."
Oct 11, 2017 10:20:51   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
wolfman wrote:
Under terms and condition of sale:

C. Once an order for Tickets has been placed, you may only cancel such order in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Sale. Nikon reserves the right to cancel any order, in whole or in part, at Nikon’s sole discretion. Nikon will advise you of any canceled order by email.


Right, and that's not unusual.

Currently $2,800 for a refurb D810.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/search.page?mobile=false&q=d810
Oct 11, 2017 10:26:59   #
wolfman
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Right, and that's not unusual.

Currently $2,800 for a refurb D810.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/search.page?mobile=false&q=d810


That's for a new one
Oct 11, 2017 10:31:16   #
Hank Radt
 
wolfman wrote:
Under terms and condition of sale:

C. Once an order for Tickets has been placed, you may only cancel such order in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Sale. Nikon reserves the right to cancel any order, in whole or in part, at Nikon’s sole discretion. Nikon will advise you of any canceled order by email.


All big companies (and many small ones) have such similar language in the fine print but that doesn't mean the governing (state) statute doesn't apply.

Given the current prices, and the fact that it was a Nikon store (which is big enough to have a reputation to protect) I'd tend to agree with the others that it probably wasn't a B&S. The next step, though, is really yours - you have to decide what makes the most sense for you. Pursue the case through the consumer protection bureau or small claims court (which will take time), contact the manager and cite the relevant statute (as well as your existing investment in Nikon gear) and see if s/he will either honor the price or offer a compromise price, or let it slide.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
Main Photography Discussion
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.