Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
The Attic
Afraid of history.
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 next>>
Aug 15, 2017 09:54:49   #
boberic (a regular here)
 
Many in the south want the removal of many statues of confederate leaders. What exactly are they afraid of? Are they afraid of being offended? Why? Oh. you poor little baby, that horrible statue makes you remember that something bad happened? I have an idea that might make them feel better. Lets erase all unpleasant historical events. No mention of WW2-Nazis were involved. No attack on Pearl Harbor (you might offend the Japanese). No mention of 9-11 it's islamophobic. The only historical events that will be remembered will be pleasant events. Come to think about it--let's suspend the teaching of history, nobody needs to know about our evil past. I propose a slogan--LET'S FORGET EVERYTHING. Maybe that's too wordy how about NEVER REMEMBER. That's better.
 
Aug 15, 2017 10:00:59   #
Rab-Eye (a regular here)
 
I cannot speak for others, but perhaps they think it wrong to honor those who represent the worst moral stain in American history.
Aug 15, 2017 10:19:22   #
boberic (a regular here)
 
Rab-Eye wrote:
I cannot speak for others, but perhaps they think it wrong to honor those who represent the worst moral stain in American history.


Maybe those monuments should stand as a reminder of those moral stains. Israel has a famous museum as a reminder of the horrible stain of the holocost (Yad Vashem) with the slogan Never Forget.
Aug 15, 2017 10:24:33   #
thom w (a regular here)
 
boberic wrote:
Maybe those monuments should stand as a reminder of those moral stains. Israel has a famous museum as a reminder of the horrible stain of the holocost (Yad Vashem) with the slogan Never Forget.


There is a difference between recording for history, or showing what was in a hope to not repeat it, and celebrating traitors. Even more so in the context of when and why some of these statues were erected.
Aug 15, 2017 10:26:57   #
soba1 (a regular here)
 
boberic wrote:
Maybe those monuments should stand as a reminder of those moral stains. Israel has a famous museum as a reminder of the horrible stain of the holocost (Yad Vashem) with the slogan Never Forget.


I understand where u are coming from. But put a statue of Hitler up in a city where a good number of Jews reside, or hoist a Nazi flag and see
how far that goes.
I look at statues as a work of art a part of Americana, but there are those that find them offensive.
I would dare say a museum is different than a person looking at something they find offensive every day.
Ego is a very powerful thing.
Aug 15, 2017 10:42:30   #
boberic (a regular here)
 
soba1 wrote:
I understand where u are coming from. But put a statue of Hitler up in a city where a good number of Jews reside, or hoist a Nazi flag and see
how far that goes.
I look at statues as a work of art a part of Americana, but there are those that find them offensive.
I would dare say a museum is different than a person looking at something they find offensive every day.
Ego is a very powerful thing.


What about a picture of hitler or of a confederate flag in a history book. There are those who want then expunged as well. If any municipality wants to remove a statue that is their right But people destroying them, because they are "offended" thats's a very different thing. Where is the line to be drawn, and who draws that line. Maybe I am offended by anyone with blue eyes. People do not understand--offense can not be given, it can only be taken. If I were to tell you that your wife sleeps with gorillas and you shoot me, who do you think goes to jail?
 
Aug 15, 2017 10:44:01   #
user47602
 
boberic wrote:
Many in the south want the removal of many statues of confederate leaders. What exactly are they afraid of? Are they afraid of being offended? Why? Oh. you poor little baby, that horrible statue makes you remember that something bad happened? I have an idea that might make them feel better. Lets erase all unpleasant historical events. No mention of WW2-Nazis were involved. No attack on Pearl Harbor (you might offend the Japanese). No mention of 9-11 it's islamophobic. The only historical events that will be remembered will be pleasant events. Come to think about it--let's suspend the teaching of history, nobody needs to know about our evil past. I propose a slogan--LET'S FORGET EVERYTHING. Maybe that's too wordy how about NEVER REMEMBER. That's better.
Many in the south want the removal of many statues... (show quote)



We won, YOU LOST...suck it up buttercup ....anyone bitching about the confederate flag should take these words to heart.



listen... the losers don't usually get to put up monuments... not on the winner's soil!!! where are the monuments to the brave British soldiers that fought in the Revolutionary War? The Japanese and German monuments to their fallen soldiers? It's not a matter of remembering...it's a matter of NOT celebrating slavery and treason.
Aug 15, 2017 10:53:09   #
phcaan (a regular here)
 
user47602 wrote:
We won, YOU LOST...suck it up buttercup ....anyone bitching about the confederate flag should take these words to heart.



listen... the losers don't usually get to put up monuments... not on the winner's soil!!! where are the monumnets to the brave British soldiers that fought in the Revolutionary War? The Japanese and German monuments to their fallen soldiers? It's not a matter of remembering...it's a matter of NOT celebrating slavery and treason.
We won, YOU LOST...suck it up buttercup ....anyone... (show quote)

A typical liberal excuse to re-write history to attain a political outcome.
Aug 15, 2017 10:58:16   #
boberic (a regular here)
 
user47602 wrote:
We won, YOU LOST...suck it up buttercup ....anyone bitching about the confederate flag should take these words to heart.



listen... the losers don't usually get to put up monuments... not on the winner's soil!!! where are the monumnets to the brave British soldiers that fought in the Revolutionary War? The Japanese and German monuments to their fallen soldiers? It's not a matter of remembering...it's a matter of NOT celebrating slavery and treason.
We won, YOU LOST...suck it up buttercup ....anyone... (show quote)


Before the civil war the were almost as many slave holders in the north. Most of the founders held slaves so then there should be no statues of them. In Brooklyn At the Grand Army Plaza Arch ther are union and confederate soldier statues. There are no calls for the removal of the arch.
Aug 15, 2017 11:00:33   #
Frank T (a regular here)
 
Where else on earth do the losers of a war get statues? Tell you what. If you can find a statue of Hitler or Rommel in Germany, I'll agree that there should be one for Robert E Lee or Jefferson Davis in America.
Aug 15, 2017 11:00:48   #
Rab-Eye (a regular here)
 
boberic wrote:
Maybe those monuments should stand as a reminder of those moral stains. Israel has a famous museum as a reminder of the horrible stain of the holocost (Yad Vashem) with the slogan Never Forget.


100%. I've been there many times. There is no statue of Hitler.
 
Aug 15, 2017 11:00:58   #
user47602
 
phcaan wrote:
A typical liberal excuse to re-write history to attain a political outcome.
rewriting history how? They're taking down a monument to slavery and treason...

they took down the Berlin Wall.... I doubt they will be forgetting it soon. it's important we learn the lessons of history like a monument to Dachau or the internment of Japanese-Americans...

but what history do you think people will forget by taking down a statue of Robert E Lee? That the south had many brave men willing to defend the concept of slavery? They were traitors, not patriots.
Aug 15, 2017 11:03:04   #
chrisscholbe (a regular here)
 
boberic wrote:
What about a picture of hitler or of a confederate flag in a history book. There are those who want then expunged as well. If any municipality wants to remove a statue that is their right But people destroying them, because they are "offended" thats's a very different thing. Where is the line to be drawn, and who draws that line. Maybe I am offended by anyone with blue eyes. People do not understand--offense can not be given, it can only be taken. If I were to tell you that your wife sleeps with gorillas and you shoot me, who do you think goes to jail?
What about a picture of hitler or of a confederate... (show quote)

History books are fine, because they portray,history....hopefully, what actually happened.

We can/should learn from history books.

This is very different from erecting monuments.
Aug 15, 2017 11:11:02   #
thom w (a regular here)
 
boberic wrote:
Before the civil war the were almost as many slave holders in the north. Most of the founders held slaves so then there should be no statues of them. In Brooklyn At the Grand Army Plaza Arch ther are union and confederate soldier statues. There are no calls for the removal of the arch.


You don't see a difference between owning slaves, when it was common, and being the general for the most dangerous enemy the Union ever faced? I don't wish to stand up in support of slave owners, but it was a different time in a quite different culture and I am unable to put myself in their shoes.
Aug 15, 2017 11:18:42   #
phcaan (a regular here)
 
user47602 wrote:
rewriting history how? They're taking down a monument to slavery and treason...

they took down the Berlin Wall.... I doubt they will be forgetting it soon. it's important we learn the lessons of history like a monument to Dachau or the internment of Japanese-Americans...

but what history do you think people will forget by taking down a statue of Robert E Lee? That the south had many brave men willing to defend the concept of slavery? They were traitors, not patriots.

Yup, destroy, label, forget. Sort of like the Taliban destroying ancient building and monuments, you guys teach them, or learn from them?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 next>>
The Attic
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.