Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main Photography Discussion
What in the world is Canon doing with their latest release cameras and lenses???
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Feb 16, 2017 05:43:11   #
hobo61
 
Canon has just released three new cameras the EOS M6 mirrorless and 2 DSLRS, the 800D/Rebel T7i and the 77D. The 800D/T7i I understand, because it is in every way an upgrade to its predecessor, the T6i/750D. But the 77D? Numerically, it positions itself between the 70D and the 80D and it is supposedly a prosumer level camera, yet it is not an upgrade to either. It has better processor and software than either, but it has a Rebel level of battery, Rebel level of continuous shooting speed and no weatherproofing. So what is it, exactly? Some say it is a T7s/760D upgrade, which makes sense on the one hand, but why on earth use the prosumer naming convention? It's as though someone put a few bells and whistles onto a VW Passat and tried to pass it off as an Audi.

And then what on earth are they doing with the lenses? Together with these two new cameras, Canon has released and upgraded 18-55mm kit lens, but one that has a maximum aperture of F4.0, rather than F3.5. I know the lens is slightly smaller than its predecessor, but how on earth can you call a slower lens an upgrade?

Personally, I think Canon have regressed with this one.
 
Feb 16, 2017 05:52:28   #
Robert R
 
I look forward to the remarks on this one. 77D??
Feb 16, 2017 06:26:15   #
gwong1
 
Following to get others opinions. Gary
Feb 16, 2017 07:23:53   #
leftj
 
hobo61 wrote:
Canon has just released three new cameras the EOS M6 mirrorless and 2 DSLRS, the 800D/Rebel T7i and the 77D. The 800D/T7i I understand, because it is in every way an upgrade to its predecessor, the T6i/750D. But the 77D? Numerically, it positions itself between the 70D and the 80D and it is supposedly a prosumer level camera, yet it is not an upgrade to either. It has better processor and software than either, but it has a Rebel level of battery, Rebel level of continuous shooting speed and no weatherproofing. So what is it, exactly? Some say it is a T7s/760D upgrade, which makes sense on the one hand, but why on earth use the prosumer naming convention? It's as though someone put a few bells and whistles onto a VW Passat and tried to pass it off as an Audi.

And then what on earth are they doing with the lenses? Together with these two new cameras, Canon has released and upgraded 18-55mm kit lens, but one that has a maximum aperture of F4.0, rather than F3.5. I know the lens is slightly smaller than its predecessor, but how on earth can you call a slower lens an upgrade?

Personally, I think Canon have regressed with this one.
Canon has just released three new cameras the EOS ... (show quote)


Wow, I agree with you. And the M6 mirrorless with no view finder right after releasing the M5 with a viewfinder. I'd love to hear the Canon spin on the rationale for these meaningless releases. I'm a Canon user but this leaves me scratching my head.
Feb 16, 2017 07:33:28   #
Robert R
 
leftj wrote:
Wow, I agree with you. And the M6 mirrorless with no view finder right after releasing the M5 with a viewfinder. I'd love to hear the Canon spin on the rationale for these meaningless releases. I'm a Canon user but this leaves me scratching my head.


I guess I am old time. I would not have a camera without a viewfinder. Although I see a lot of people using them. Not for me!!
Feb 16, 2017 07:37:25   #
happy sailor
 
The M6 is smaller than the M5 and less expensive for those and there are many of them, shooters who are used to not using a viewfinder ( not me lol). Some have complained the M5 was too big so because one camera can't make everyone happy Canon makes different ones to try and please (sell) more people. Think of all those cell phone photographers, they don't even know what a viewfinder is.

Don't scratch your head just try and accept there are different kinds of camera users so different kinds of cameras. And Canon wants to sell to all of them!
 
Feb 16, 2017 07:45:21   #
leftj
 
happy sailor wrote:
The M6 is smaller than the M5 and less expensive for those and there are many of them, shooters who are used to not using a viewfinder ( not me lol). Some have complained the M5 was too big so because one camera can't make everyone happy Canon makes different ones to try and please (sell) more people. Think of all those cell phone photographers, they don't even know what a viewfinder is.

Don't scratch your head just try and accept there are different kinds of camera users so different kinds of cameras. And Canon wants to sell to all of them!
The M6 is smaller than the M5 and less expensive f... (show quote)


I don't think cell phone photographers are going to run out and buy an M6. They will continue to be cell phone photographers.
Feb 16, 2017 07:46:37   #
TommiRulz
 
I am excited about the new releases! I've been thinking about getting a Rebel or M5 for a lighter purse camera... Maybe this will drive down the price of the T6i or maybe Canon will start making more M lenses. Either way - it's really not our problem, and it's fun to see and try new cameras !!!!
Feb 16, 2017 09:03:03   #
rook2c4 (a regular here)
 
It seems to me Canon is going down the same wrong path Nikon has taken. The DSLR market is shrinking, so they try to compensate by churning out more and more new models and new lens versions, with the hope customers will continue to buy and buy.
Feb 16, 2017 09:49:29   #
rjaywallace (a regular here)
 
It appears to me that, feeling the heat of photography 'competition' from cell phone manufacturers, Canon has chosen to chase the cell phone user market by offering the M6 as a 'competitive' camera. Yes, the M5 was somewhat clunky and didn't perform all that well per reviewers. But I absolutely agree with other members that the absence of a viewfinder is a deal-breaker. And I also agree that the T7i and the 77D address no clear niche in the market. I do not, however, think we should get too hung up on 'marketing names/model designations' - they have seldom made any sense and often may be no more than the result of some corporate guy's nightmare after a poorly-cooked pizza.
Feb 16, 2017 13:35:58   #
Jim Bob (a regular here)
 
hobo61 wrote:
Canon has just released three new cameras the EOS M6 mirrorless and 2 DSLRS, the 800D/Rebel T7i and the 77D. The 800D/T7i I understand, because it is in every way an upgrade to its predecessor, the T6i/750D. But the 77D? Numerically, it positions itself between the 70D and the 80D and it is supposedly a prosumer level camera, yet it is not an upgrade to either. It has better processor and software than either, but it has a Rebel level of battery, Rebel level of continuous shooting speed and no weatherproofing. So what is it, exactly? Some say it is a T7s/760D upgrade, which makes sense on the one hand, but why on earth use the prosumer naming convention? It's as though someone put a few bells and whistles onto a VW Passat and tried to pass it off as an Audi.

And then what on earth are they doing with the lenses? Together with these two new cameras, Canon has released and upgraded 18-55mm kit lens, but one that has a maximum aperture of F4.0, rather than F3.5. I know the lens is slightly smaller than its predecessor, but how on earth can you call a slower lens an upgrade?

Personally, I think Canon have regressed with this one.
Canon has just released three new cameras the EOS ... (show quote)

Agreed. Just dumb. They must have hired some Nikon employees.
 
Feb 16, 2017 13:49:12   #
SharpShooter (a regular here)
 
Robert R wrote:
I guess I am old time. I would not have a camera without a viewfinder. Although I see a lot of people using them. Not for me!!


Not for you?
You did say you're old time but have you EVER taken a pic using your phone?
If the answer is yes, then yes, it IS for you!!! LoL
SS
Feb 16, 2017 15:36:19   #
leftj
 
Uhh -- that's not really the same.
Feb 16, 2017 15:49:38   #
Spirit Hawk
 
Canon is forcing us to jump ship ??!! but to what ship??
IMHO the 50D was the last of a great line of Canons ?? minor improvements, but nothing of great value that improves picture IQ ??
Ron
Feb 16, 2017 23:16:17   #
hobo61
 
This has been a great thread, thanks everyone. Anyone care to comment about the new slower 18-55mm kit lens that Canon has released along with this slew of new models?
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Main Photography Discussion
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.