Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
Canon vs Nikon: Which is better?
Here is the truth one of them doesn't want you to know
(and more, keep reading):
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional photographer, then the benefits of signing up for our free daily photography forum digest are:

• We cover both film and digital photography.

• We talk about professional (D)SLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, mid-range/prosumer models, point-and-shoot, and camera phones.

• We cover all types of photography from portraits to landscapes to action shots to macro photography. (Which one interests you the most? Stop and ask yourself right now. You'll need to be able to answer that in just a minute. No matter what you shoot, you'll get better at just that. Read below to find out why.)

• We cover all aspects of photography from picking gear to composition to working with models, and everything in between.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques on how to take the kind of pictures that will make your friends, relatives and peers just stare in amazement, speechless, when they see your work. Yep! That's how good your photography will become.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a photography forum digest with the latest photography tips, tricks, reviews and discussions.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• And of course, it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for photographers, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our photography mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more photography-related material (pictures, tips, tricks, reviews) than contained in all photography books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

Don't delay! Join the best photography community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our photography forum: hundreds of great tips from other photographers.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
Main Photography Discussion
Cheapest/Best Nikon with Internal focusing motor
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Apr 30, 2012 13:51:48   #
Stef C
 
I am getting so sick of being limited to "AF-S" for autofocus with my D3100. There are so many cheaper options that are older models of just "AF"

I really am considering giving the D3100 a boot in exchange for an upgrade. Any recommendations on a DSLR with interal focus motor.. I'm not sure I can afford the D7000 at this point..
 
Apr 30, 2012 15:02:34   #
MT Shooter (a regular here)
 
Stef C wrote:
I am getting so sick of being limited to "AF-S" for autofocus with my D3100. There are so many cheaper options that are older models of just "AF"

I really am considering giving the D3100 a boot in exchange for an upgrade. Any recommendations on a DSLR with interal focus motor.. I'm not sure I can afford the D7000 at this point..


D90, D300, D7000, all good choices, obviously the D7000 would be the best choice but for the price, so the D90 might be a better option for you. The AF-S lens limitation on Nikons introductory DSLRs are aggravating, but they are all VERY good lenses. The AF on them is much faster than most standard AF Nikkor lenses.
Apr 30, 2012 15:12:27   #
Nikonian72 (a regular here)
 
Stef C wrote:
I really am considering giving the D3100 a boot in exchange for an upgrade. Any recommendations on a DSLR with internal focus motor
MT Shooter has the right idea. My D90 is my general photography camera, and is quite the workhorse. My D5000 (no motor) is dedicated to my 105G macro lens. I would encourage you to keep your D3100 as a back-up camera, with your favorite AF-S lens attached.
Apr 30, 2012 15:20:36   #
Stef C
 
the D90 in low light kind of worries me with ISO only up to 6400... how does yours perform in low light?
Apr 30, 2012 16:24:59   #
nikonesian
 
Not as good as the D7000, but pretty acceptable up to 1600. I use a D90 and try not to get too far north of that mark. I sould also add I'm almost always hand held.
Apr 30, 2012 16:32:12   #
GoofyNewfie (a regular here)
 
Stef C wrote:
the D90 in low light kind of worries me with ISO only up to 6400...

How many of us remember shooting that high in the film days? "only" up to 6400? Ain't technology grand?
 
Apr 30, 2012 17:22:02   #
MT Shooter (a regular here)
 
I am still trying to figure out the POINT of cameras utilizing ISO 25,400 and above. What exactly could be a PRACTICAL purpose of it? The pics I have seen shot at those astronomical ISO settings were not worth the time or the pixels, every one has been terrible.
Apr 30, 2012 17:25:59   #
GoofyNewfie (a regular here)
 
MT Shooter wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the POINT of cameras utilizing ISO 25,400 and above. What exactly could be a PRACTICAL purpose of it? The pics I have seen shot at those astronomical ISO settings were not worth the time or the pixels, every one has been terrible.


To get around the fact that some don't like, or more likely, don't know how to use flash or other light.
Apr 30, 2012 17:30:24   #
MT Shooter (a regular here)
 
GoofyNewfie wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the POINT of cameras utilizing ISO 25,400 and above. What exactly could be a PRACTICAL purpose of it? The pics I have seen shot at those astronomical ISO settings were not worth the time or the pixels, every one has been terrible.


To get around the fact that some don't like, or more likely, don't know how to use flash or other light.


And here I thought one should always educate themselves about a process before looking for less precise alternatives. Silly me!
Apr 30, 2012 17:33:08   #
GoofyNewfie (a regular here)
 
MT Shooter wrote:
GoofyNewfie wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the POINT of cameras utilizing ISO 25,400 and above. What exactly could be a PRACTICAL purpose of it? The pics I have seen shot at those astronomical ISO settings were not worth the time or the pixels, every one has been terrible.


To get around the fact that some don't like, or more likely, don't know how to use flash or other light.


And here I thought one should always educate themselves about a process before looking for less precise alternatives. Silly me!
quote=GoofyNewfie quote=MT Shooter I am still tr... (show quote)

Why learn something if you can spend more money?
Your ARE silly! :!:

I'm sure there is some use for it, besides being a money-maker for manufacturers.
Apr 30, 2012 17:35:21   #
MT Shooter (a regular here)
 
GoofyNewfie wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
GoofyNewfie wrote:
MT Shooter wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the POINT of cameras utilizing ISO 25,400 and above. What exactly could be a PRACTICAL purpose of it? The pics I have seen shot at those astronomical ISO settings were not worth the time or the pixels, every one has been terrible.


To get around the fact that some don't like, or more likely, don't know how to use flash or other light.


And here I thought one should always educate themselves about a process before looking for less precise alternatives. Silly me!
quote=GoofyNewfie quote=MT Shooter I am still tr... (show quote)

Why learn something if you can spend more money?
Your ARE silly! :!:

I'm sure there is some use for it, besides being a money-maker for manufacturers.
quote=MT Shooter quote=GoofyNewfie quote=MT Sho... (show quote)


OH YEAH!
What was I thinking???
 
Apr 30, 2012 17:38:50   #
Nikonian72 (a regular here)
 
I am working on an app to convert ISO to MPH, so my camera can go super-sonic.
Apr 30, 2012 17:41:19   #
GoofyNewfie (a regular here)
 
Nikonian72 wrote:
I am working on an app to convert ISO to MPH, so my camera can go super-sonic.

You'll need faster lenses so they can keep up.
Apr 30, 2012 17:54:11   #
Nikonian72 (a regular here)
 
GoofyNewfie wrote:
Nikonian72 wrote:
I am working on an app to convert ISO to MPH, so my camera can go super-sonic.
You'll need faster lenses so they can keep up.
I had not thought about that! Maybe I can convert that Zeiss 50mm f/0.7 limited production lens built for the NASA space program, or the Nikon TV-Nikkor 35mm f/0.9, fastest Nikon lens ever made, or one of the other lenses listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_speed
Apr 30, 2012 17:56:27   #
MT Shooter (a regular here)
 
Hmmmm, is this thread officially hijacked now?
LOL

Sorry Steph!
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
          
Main Photography Discussion
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.