Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
Canon vs Nikon: Which is better?
Here is the truth one of them doesn't want you to know
(and more, keep reading):
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional photographer, then the benefits of signing up for our free daily photography forum digest are:

• We cover both film and digital photography.

• We talk about professional (D)SLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, mid-range/prosumer models, point-and-shoot, and camera phones.

• We cover all types of photography from portraits to landscapes to action shots to macro photography. (Which one interests you the most? Stop and ask yourself right now. You'll need to be able to answer that in just a minute. No matter what you shoot, you'll get better at just that. Read below to find out why.)

• We cover all aspects of photography from picking gear to composition to working with models, and everything in between.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques on how to take the kind of pictures that will make your friends, relatives and peers just stare in amazement, speechless, when they see your work. Yep! That's how good your photography will become.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a photography forum digest with the latest photography tips, tricks, reviews and discussions.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• And of course, it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for photographers, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our photography mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more photography-related material (pictures, tips, tricks, reviews) than contained in all photography books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

Don't delay! Join the best photography community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our photography forum: hundreds of great tips from other photographers.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
Main Photography Discussion
Polar Bear in a Snowstorm
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Jan 22, 2012 12:35:46   #
healthydogs
 
Requests for or attempts at color correction can be more frustrating than helpful and can actually make matters worse if the requester and the helper aren't using a color-calibrated monitors. One man's yellow is another man's blue. (By the way men are frequently color-blind and, worse, Viagra alters your color perception, too! I'm just saying..)

The box below here is WHITE, i.e. 255 in all color channels - same as the 255 that blinks your camera's histogram when white is blown out.

If this box on your screen isn't WHITE, or extremely close to it then you should probably have your own monitor color-calibrated. (Hint: compare to a piece of copy paper next to your screen)

Hope this saves some frustration for members of the UHH community.
Polar Bear in a Snow Storm

 
Jan 22, 2012 12:38:47   #
Robert Graybeal
 
You should see the one I have of a black cat eating liquorish in a coal bin!
Jan 22, 2012 13:35:10   #
tlbuljac
 
Dang......and all this time I thought we were looking at a ghost in a snowstorm (quite a resemblance i must add)


healthydogs wrote:
Requests for or attempts at color correction can be more frustrating than helpful and can actually make matters worse if the requester and the helper aren't using a color-calibrated monitors. One man's yellow is another man's blue. (By the way men are frequently color-blind and, worse, Viagra alters your color perception, too! I'm just saying..)

The box below here is WHITE, i.e. 255 in all color channels - same as the 255 that blinks your camera's histogram when white is blown out.

If this box on your screen isn't WHITE, or extremely close to it then you should probably have your own monitor color-calibrated. (Hint: compare to a piece of copy paper next to your screen)

Hope this saves some frustration for members of the UHH community.
Requests for or attempts at color correction can b... (show quote)
Jan 22, 2012 13:51:48   #
Carioca
 
I found this out the hard way, a couple of years ago. Took photos of a friend's granddaughter and her first birthday party, outside in a shady spot.

Images looked great on my screen, but when I printed one of the birthday girl in her fancy white party dress, it looked purple. :(
Jan 22, 2012 19:19:32   #
Fee Fee
 
Robert Graybeal wrote:
You should see the one I have of a black cat eating liquorish in a coal bin!


I LOVE IT!!!!!
Jan 22, 2012 20:35:05   #
Carmine
 
Carioca wrote:
I found this out the hard way, a couple of years ago. Took photos of a friend's granddaughter and her first birthday party, outside in a shady spot.

Images looked great on my screen, but when I printed one of the birthday girl in her fancy white party dress, it looked purple. :(


Actually, that could be caused by several factors. It's not likely your monitor is off THAT much. More like not having your printing workflow screwed up. Think about stuff like; who's color engine are you using? The printer? Photoshop's? or both? (That really makes a mess). Are you using the correct paper profile?
It can be a real can of worms. You have to dig deep into your printer set-up diaglogs to get it right and of course, having a calibrated monitor is essential.
 
Jan 23, 2012 00:55:34   #
ggiaphotos
 
tlbuljac wrote:
Dang......and all this time I thought we were looking at a ghost in a snowstorm (quite a resemblance i must add)


healthydogs wrote:
Requests for or attempts at color correction can be more frustrating than helpful and can actually make matters worse if the requester and the helper aren't using a color-calibrated monitors. One man's yellow is another man's blue. (By the way men are frequently color-blind and, worse, Viagra alters your color perception, too! I'm just saying..)

The box below here is WHITE, i.e. 255 in all color channels - same as the 255 that blinks your camera's histogram when white is blown out.

If this box on your screen isn't WHITE, or extremely close to it then you should probably have your own monitor color-calibrated. (Hint: compare to a piece of copy paper next to your screen)

Hope this saves some frustration for members of the UHH community.
Requests for or attempts at color correction can b... (show quote)
Dang......and all this time I thought we were look... (show quote)


It looks just like my snowman in a blizzard photo!
Jan 23, 2012 09:10:08   #
BOB
 
Nice bear in a snow storm ..lol
Jan 23, 2012 11:36:45   #
PATRIOT
 
Nice composition. The two cubs are really cute.
Jan 23, 2012 12:05:55   #
PNagy (a regular here)
 
I can tell this picture is a fake: Polar bears have black noses.
Jan 23, 2012 12:31:21   #
davedeuce
 
At midnight? ;)
Robert Graybeal wrote:
You should see the one I have of a black cat eating liquorish in a coal bin!
 
Jan 23, 2012 12:35:48   #
Lucian
 
well you know there is red liquorish so you need to specify if it was black or red!
Jan 23, 2012 12:38:13   #
PNagy (a regular here)
 
Yes, I suppose the polar bear's nose is black at midnight, but the picture to which I referred was "Polar Bears in a Snowstorm." That picture was all white. If it is the right time in the year, there would be light even at midnight, therefore the nose should manifest black. Anyway, I was only kidding.
Jan 23, 2012 12:44:05   #
docrob
 
healthydogs wrote:
Requests for or attempts at color correction can be more frustrating than helpful and can actually make matters worse if the requester and the helper aren't using a color-calibrated monitors. One man's yellow is another man's blue. (By the way men are frequently color-blind and, worse, Viagra alters your color perception, too! I'm just saying..)

The box below here is WHITE, i.e. 255 in all color channels - same as the 255 that blinks your camera's histogram when white is blown out.

If this box on your screen isn't WHITE, or extremely close to it then you should probably have your own monitor color-calibrated. (Hint: compare to a piece of copy paper next to your screen)

Hope this saves some frustration for members of the UHH community.
Requests for or attempts at color correction can b... (show quote)


love the eyes....oh wait could that be a stuck pixel or a mote of dust?
Jan 23, 2012 13:36:40   #
healthydogs
 
Having recently seen some horrible attempts on UHH to help others correct colors in their jpg's, I am convinced that we have a widespread problem of many monitors being way off color standard, something that monitors have a tendency to drift from over time.

My calling the White 255 box, "polar bear in a snowstorm" was simply to invite attention to opening the thread in hopes of getting a discussion of color calibration going.

My mistake.

But hopefully some readers may get my too-subtle point and make use of the White 255 picture at the beginning to decide to re-calibrate their monitors.

Having a corrected monitor can make shooters happier with their photographs and eventually better photographers - if only after their careers in comedy are over!
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
          
Main Photography Discussion
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.